How to Pick the Perfect Jewelry for Your Wedding Day
Most brides spend months searching for the perfect dress. The wedding and engagement ring? They might be planned years in advance. But what about the rest of your look?
In day-to-day life, it’s the accessories that really pull the outfit together, and it’s no less true of your wedding gown. Here are some do’s and don’ts to complete your look:
- Start with the necklace. This will be the item that’s front and center in most of your pictures. If your gown is very simple, your necklace can be a statement piece. The length and style will depend on the neckline of your gown. A collarbone-length style is the most versatile, but if you have a V-neck dress, a pendant might be better.
- Earrings next. Most common are diamond studs or pearl drops, but if you won’t be wearing a veil, you can definitely choose graceful pendant earrings. Avoid anything too heavy, since you’ll be wearing them for long hours.
- To bracelet or not to bracelet. Many outfits benefit from a wrist decoration to round them out. But perhaps not this outfit. It depends on how ornate it already is — sometimes a bracelet just might overdo it. If you do go with a bracelet, do a trial run. You will be busy on your wedding day — if the bracelet is heavy or a distraction, you might want to skip it.
- You can’t go wrong with pearls. Other traditional choices are gold and platinum, to match the rings.
- Don’t be afraid to use color. It’s a non-traditional choice, to be sure, but there are many non-traditional brides these days.
- Get your jewelry cleaned. If you’re not buying pieces especially for the occasion, be sure to have it cleaned before your big day. Although it may look fine at a cocktail party, you’re going to have full-daylight photographs, which may show the little tarnishes you normally wouldn’t notice.
- Go shopping. Sometimes you just don’t have anything in your collection that fits the occasion. It’s okay! Most of us don’t wear ball-gowns every day, either. so it’s not unreasonable for you to shop for new pieces, or even get them custom made.
Midtown Jewelers has a wide range of pieces for any occasion. You might see something that would be perfect for your special day. We can also clean your heirloom jewelry for you. Just bring your pieces by for fast and meticulous service!